Taking too long? Close loading screen.

Theater of Peace

The area now occupied by this great little town was part of the Carmelite convent complex which, after the reform laws, was detached from the Convent and used as a prison in 1870. It was not until 1889 that its construction was begun by the Architect. José Noriega and in 1894 it was inaugurated. The…

Temple of Nuestra Señora del Carmen

Jewel of the Baroque Potosí Baroque, the Temple of Carmen was built thanks to the munificence of Don Nicolas Fernando Torre who, upon his arrival from Spain, settled for a time in San Luis Potosí, marrying Mrs. Gertrudis Maldonado Zapata at the same time, made his fortune counting on the Hacienda of Peotillos and the…

Real Caja

Ordered to build by the Visitor José de Galvez, was Felipe Cleere, the royal treasurer of this Fund, and amateur architect, to take charge of the project of the building, its construction began in 1764, as recalled by the inscription in the key of the door. This is one of the few buildings of civil…

Hidalgo Garden or Main Square

It has this name because this was the Plaza Mayor of the City Hall of San Luis Potosi during the Viceroyalty, where the Royal Houses were located and where the Coat of Arms of the City was located. The Jardín Hidalgo did not exist as such until the end of the 19th century when the…

Cathedral

The Temple of Nuestra Señora de la Expectación or Potosina Cathedral, is located where the initial Parish of San Luis existed, being its first Parish Priest Don Andres Nieto who administered the sacraments from May 1593. In 1670 this parish church was demolished and the construction of a new temple was begun, being the Master…

House of the Gandara

To the north of the Plaza de Armas is the Casa de la Gandará. This Viceroyalty building is the oldest of the San Luis Colonial (June 28, 1736), belonged to Don Manuel de la Gandará, uncle of Doña Francisca de la Gandará y Cardona who was the only Viceroyalty born in America after marrying in…

Government Palace

Currently the headquarters of the Executive Power of the State, these Royal Houses were built on the instructions of the Visitor José de Galvez after the existing tumults due to the expulsion of the Jesuits by orders of Carlos III in the 18th century. Neoclassical style, its facade is simple and elegant, has 4 pilasters…

Municipal Palace

These Old Royal Houses are currently the headquarters of the Honorable City Hall of San Luis Potosi. Its construction was carried out at the beginning of the seventeenth century by instructions of Viceroy Gaspar de Zuñiga y Acevedo, Count of Monterrey and Viceroy of Peru to comply with the ordinances of Felipe II that he…